You care for your dog, but did you know that he or she can still be in danger of mild depression? The following guide will teach you a few signs of doggy depression and what you can do to prevent this ailment.
You may not be able to prevent the following, but at least keep an eye on your dog should the following occur:
- The loss of another pet at home
- Your dog loses a neighbor dog
- One (or more) family member moves away
- Your pet gets attacked by another dog
- Summer or vacation ends and you (or your kids) are no longer at home as much
Signs of Depression
Pay attention to the following:
- Your pet becomes a little withdrawn or inactive
- He or she may sleep a lot more than usual
- Your dog might become more clingy
- He or she may whine more
- Your dog could stop eating as he or she does normally, there may even be weight loss
Be sure you pay attention to these symptoms, and talk to your pet health care provider to monitor these changes.
What You Can Do To Help
The following are just some ideas that may help lift your dog's spirits:
- Purchase new toys for your dog that might stimulate his or her mind.
- Take your dog to a new location or through a new path.
- Purchase a new dog house for your dog for stimulation.
- Attempt to run with your dog from time to time.
- Take long walks with your pet.
- Take your dog to a dog park, so that he or she can connect with other dogs. This should be helpful if your dog lost a companion.
- Hire a dog walker, or take your dog to doggy pet care centers if you do not have the time to spend time with your pet.
- Try to sit down with your pet more often, like when watching television; getting down on his or her level might be helpful.
Revisit Good Memories
- Play games that you know your dog loves. Or let him/her play with his or her favorite toy.
- Purchase his or her favorite food or treats more often.
You can find several of the things you need at a local pet supply store such as Petland Albuquerque. But make sure that you take your dog to your pet care specialist for help and further suggestions as well.